Monday, November 5, 2012

Week 26-Salado - Survey of Paraguayan Bathrooms,American Music, $4000 for a House, Talkative, Elder Bednars visit

This week was great, we put in a lot of hard work, and it´s still getting hotter.

There was 105 people in church this week, the highest I´ve seen since I got here. One of our investigators went to church and loved it, there´s really no reason not to if you want to be there. Her name is Genara, and lives right next door to a different member´s house, so that makes it even better.

The funniest thing happened yesterday. We heard the "girls just wanna have fun" song being blasted from someone´s stereo, and as we got closer we saw this big Paraguayan man just sittin in front of his house just chillin. If only he knew what the song actually said.

I saw my share of Paraguayan bathrooms this week, just the way things worked out, they are made out of anything from a couple layers of bricks with a hole in the ground, fruit crates, or just regular toilets that may or may not flush. Some of them are made out of tarps with quite a few holes in them, and you can have a pretty nice view of your surroundings while you´re in there and just hope they can´t see you just as well. I really do appreciate nice, flushing toilets.

If someone wants to buy a nice, brick house with two bedrooms here in Salado it would only cost about 4000 dollars, kinda crazy.

The one and probably only thing that I don´t appreciate about Paraguay is how much they love to talk. If you let them, they could talk to you for hours, and when they run out of things to say, they just hit play and start going again, but I really do like pretty much everything else besides that.

Elder Bowles

Mom-could you send me the recipe for potato soup? The good news is that S. got a job taking care of someone´s house and baby. She really was blessed, for keeping her commitments for the month or so that we´ve known her.

Elder Bednar (one of the 12 Apostles) opened up for question and answer for about an hour or so, and told us that a lot of the people ask guess what I´m thinking questions and won´t accept anything besides what they´re thinking for an answer, and how that is just a ridiculous tradition. He also talked alot about treating people as agents instead of objects, and helping them to be able to find their own answers to spiritual things before we leave them.

That´s super crazy that they didn´t even let the MTC´s know (about the age change for missions).

Obra misonal week is every 2nd sunday, but we had general conference for one of them, and then Prete and Fererria showed up for a different one, so I´ve still only speaken once so far, I think it´s my turn again this week.

Dad- R is 15. He knows castellano, but it´s not even as good as mine is, he mostly speaks Guaraní. Elder Prete had to stay in the hospital with Feirerra.  It was back to me and Hamilton for a couple days, but it was already weird without them.

Some of the members are awesome fellowshippers, and some I just hope won´t say anything at all while the investigators are there. Also, one of the members tried to tell me that the Mississippi River dried up and people started walking across it, but I found that hard to believe.

Kami-that´s funny about your room, are they gonna show it in class, or just a couple of them? Did you go trick or treating?

Julia-We ran into two real bad drunk guys this week. They always like talking about the law of chastity more than anything, I´ll just leave it at that. One we had contacted before at his house, and he was way more talkative this time while he was drunk, and kept asking us what our doctrine was after we had explained it like 3 times. The other one got mad because we laughed at him, and kept asking us whiy we were laughing at him, and how today was the only time he drank since he quit drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment