Monday, November 19, 2012

Week 28 - Salado - Bit by a Parrot, Poison Grass, Teaching "old" people, Sleep talking in Spanish

Genara´s baptism was this Saturday, and it was awesome. Her son Jonas came, and he wants to be baptized too, so that´s super awesome. She has a parrot, and it bit me, but when the district leader was here it pooped on him, so I think I got the better end of the deal because it really didn't hurt at all.
 My comp got bit by a dog this week, but the dog did less damage than the parrot, oh well.  I saw the ugliest dog in the world this week, it only had hair on the top of its back, and it was bleeding a whole bunch, and its eyes made it look like it was blind. The dogs here are ugly when they´re healthy too, just because they are all mixes of all the dogs that ever were. 

They have this poison grass stuff here, which does exactly what poison oak does, so that hasn´t been fun this last week or so, at least now I know to avoid it.

Spanish is a lot of people´s second language here.  I've been noticing that here in Salado,  that my Spanish is a lot better than a lot of people´s Spanish here, it´s kinda interesting.  Guaraní is still a lost cause for me right now.  I learn new phrases every so often, but it´s a weird language.

Guarani is impossible. but if you just repeat what they say to you they think you´re really smart. but that´s harder said than done, because it´s super nasally and hard to pronounce, and every word has like three meanings. A lot of people here ask if I´m Brazilian, and when I say no, they always say oh, well you must be German then, and it´s super funny.



Elder Bowles

Julia-I haven´t even seen the temple here in Paraguay yet, since my flight got delayed on the way here, they just sent us to our areas instead of showing us the temple first. They just changed it so that missionaries here go to the temple once every year instead of once every six months. But when Juan Carlos goes to the temple I should get to go with him. You´re supposed to wear the missionary name tag all the time, we don´t wear them sometimes when we go on runs in the morning though, but it´s not like a name tag would get in the way of bowling.
It´s raining really hard right now. Our youngest investigator was S., who was the one who ran out of the font and was 9 years old.
 I used to think that old people were way harder to teach, but right now we have a great 60 year old investigator, so I guess it really depends on the readiness of the person.
Mom-We don´t get the Liahona with the conference talks until way later after the conference. when I got here (in July) my companion was super excited because he had just gotten the conference talks from April.
I should be able to skype, about half the cybers here have webcams, but I will let you know after I know if I´m staying or not. I´d say it´s about 80 percent chance that I stay.
I feel fluent with the words I know, but I feel like the more fluent I get, the more people we find who speak just Guaraní, so it´s hard to measure. There will always be work to be done with the language(s). Especially if I get sent somewhere where they speak Portugese.
Dad-Since there aren't a whole bunch of members, we have appointments for each day of the week that happen every week, so we see our lunch appointment families more than the families that don´t feed us lunch.
One of the members we visited a week ago said that she had a dream where she was holding two keys and was trying to catch up to her dead cousin, who was all dressed up in white, to give them to him. What we had planned to share was about the temple and the plan of salvation. It was crazy. I have a hard time remembering my dreams when I wake up though, I've been told I've sleep talked in Spanish though.


Ivan's big catch!


Spending another P-day fishing


No comments:

Post a Comment