Yesterday ash was falling from the sky because of the fires, and it
has smelled like a campfire this whole week. It's nothing compared to a
couple years ago in Chico, but it's pretty smokey.
On Tuesday there were 10 Apostles at the devotional and L. Tom Perry spoke. He basically just said how cool the church was and everything, it was awesome. Only Hales and Packer weren't at the devotional, it was great having them all there. Elder Thomson saw Oaks in the hallway and shook his hand. He says that he's not that tall. On the devotional on Sunday when they announced who was saying the prayer it was Elder Meyer (Ivan's friend from our ward) from Chico, so that was cool.
As far as I know I'm leaving the MTC on the 16th of July, I can't wait. We should all get travel plans next week, if it's the same for us as it has been for the other missionaries here. Also from the missionaries I've talked to, if they have their travel plans ahead of time, it seems like they leave somewhere between the middle of the night and 8 in the morning.
We had a huge Sacrament meeting with a couple other branches here at the MTC, and they had two whole tables with bread and water, and there was 4 people behind each table, and 14 people passing the Sacrament, and they all carried two trays. They don't mess around here at the MTC.
That isn't good that the Temple is going to be closed, but my district gets to help clean it a week from today, so I'm excited for that.
I was cleaning doorknobs for service today and met a teacher at the MTC here who is from Paraguay, and she taught us how to say a couple things in Guarani, so that was awesome. She said we could come back another time and she would teach us some more, so we're probably gonna do that so we at least know how to say hi and stuff when we get down to Paraguay. I am learning so much. I don't know how missionaries survived on their missions before the MTC, because I'm learning so much, in addition to Spanish helping me to become better.
On Saturday we didn't have our evening class because of the mission president training, and we got to watch a movie instead, Other Side of Heaven, it was great, but it made me miss Elder Fakava because everyone in the movie spoke with the same accent because of him. I also was able to pick out a few of the Tongan words that he taught us, like 'Poloni', which he said means white man, but probably means more like something more the the effect of gringo. I also learned that in Latin America chicitanas or something like that are delicacies, but from what Hermano Howard told us they just sound like carpenter ants to me.
We had a couple days this week when we only spoke Spanish, so that was hard, but it helped a lot. I found out last week that Lo Siento doesn't really mean I'm sorry, it just means "I feel it" so that's weird. Yesterday at TRC we taught the same person as the 2nd week we were here, and it went worlds better than the first time. We were able to hold a great conversation about the gospel and everything, and it was great. It was supposed to be forty minutes long, and when we finished it had only seemed like 15 but it had really been 40.
Have fun on Trek, this is the one time I actually wish I could go with you.
Love,
Elder Ivan Bowles
Mom-I
don't feel like I've gained weight and my clothes aren't feeling tight,
but I weigh about 10 pounds more than when I got here, I told Wil
that, so that's how he knows, I'm not pullin a supersize me on everyone.
Also, where exactly are the fires? I know there has been at least two,
but that's about all I know. I also really like getting Justin's
letters, could you also check my email for Mark's letters and Daniel's
for when he leaves to Ohio? That would be cool too. What did you name
the baby and stuff about Trek?
Dad- are there more details on the president of
Paraguay thing, that would be interesting to know about. When do you
start up school again?
Julia-
That's a great score on the ACT, especially for during the summer when I know, if I
wasn't here, that my brain would have been hibernating for the summer.
Kami-
That's aweome that you got your contacts, before Elder Johnston left he
tried on my glasses and couldn't see it was real funny.
No comments:
Post a Comment