Monday, September 9, 2013

Week 70 - Villaricca - BIG bats,Old People,Technology, Sugar Cane and Thread

This week was great!

When we went to F*d*l the first thing he asked us is if there´s church every Sunday!

The office elders called me last week and asked if I wanted to end my mission the 24th of April or the 4th of June, and I told them the 4th. That´s just one of those lucky things about changing missions, is I get to serve for a couple extra weeks.

The branch is growing, but the last complete family on our side of the branch moved back to Bolivia this week, so that´ll make things a little trickier.

Also, this week I saw sooo many bats, and some were as long as our beagles back home! I didn´t believe it until one of the bats in the swarm went under the streetlight, I had never seen anything like it ever before.
 
We have been finding some cool people to teach, it always seems like if we find some people who are really awesome one week, that same week we always find a lot of really stubborn and ignorant people in the same week, but whatever, it´s the good that I care about.   
 
Even though I lived away from home for a year before I came on my mission, I don´t feel better prepared, I just feel like the people who didn´t are underprepared. jk
 
There only are multi story buildings in Asunción, here in Villarrica, the tallest building is 5 stories, from what I´ve seen.
 
There was a huge rainstorm with lightning yesterday afternoon, so that was kinda fun, luckily we were inside eating lunch.

Old people are just the best. One told me 2 days ago that he discovered from the Bible that the end of the world is in 2018.
 
No, nobody eats the carpinchos, they are just there in the city park. There are 3 carpinchos that are all in the park, I just couldn´t get a picture of me with all 3 of them.
 
The fan is fixed, and I fixed it just in time for a really hot evening (since we´re only usually in the house in the evening). 
 
They don´t use clothespins, because the barbed wire does a good job of keeping the clothes on the line.

The chapel is smaller than a portable classroom.
 
Here in Villarrica less people have cell phones, I´d say about 2/3 of the people have them, and almost nobody has their own computer. We have a tv and dvd in the chapel, but the remote is broken, so it´s hard to use it.
 
The main industry is sugar cane and thread, there´s two huge factories here, one for each of them. some members have been members for a long time. We don´t have stake meetings, since we are not part of a stake, we are part of a district, and we go to a city about 1 hour away for district meetings(coronel oviedo).
 
Our branch president got baptized because his wife told him that if he didn´t that meant that he didn´t want to be with her for the eternities.
 
My companion is improving his Spanish quite a bit, he doesn´t know as much as I did when I came out, it takes patience because I had almost forgotten how hard it is to learn a language. I really like having Latin companions better because then Paraguayans don´t just want to talk to the Americans, and we can more easily focus on the message.
 
 
Elder Bowles

No comments:

Post a Comment