Monday, August 6, 2012

Week 13 - Salado - 10 people to teach, Eating Pig Head, Moto Accidents, Removing a Pike, No Street Address

This last week was great, we found 10 new people to teach, and 3 of them actually went to church. That´s the hardest part, a lot of the people that we teach say they would be thrilled to go to church, but they never actually do. They were 3 sisters, Maria, Susana and something else, I didn´t meet the 3rd one until she came to church with them. They live pretty much as far away from the chapel as possible while still being in our area. We we've had anywhere from 70 to 90 people come to our chapel for church. 

I ate some pig head yesterday, it was pretty much just a bunch of fat with some meat mixed in. I heard that some people really like pig brains. We don´t ever eat dinners at member´s homes, we have lunch citas, and lunch is usually the biggest meal for everyone here, then they sleep for about an hour after that. My favorite thing to eat is still probably giso, depending on the giso.

The Spanish is coming along, not super fast, but it´s coming. I can understand the people we talk with a lot way more than when I first meet someone. Except for some people who speak super fast and use Guarani as well. One day this week when we were walking down the street this guy yelled at us from his truck in English and asked us what our favorite foods were and what we liked to do. It was cool hearing English from someone besides other missionaries. Hamilton said he had probably just taken a English class and that was all he knew how to say. There are a lot of people who know only a couple phrases and try to hold a conversacion in English with us.

I also don´t know how much I weigh in kilos, and they don´t understand pounds. Fernando, a kid in the ward asked us if we had any English books he could borrow, and Hamilton gave him his english-spanish missionary phrases book, and it was awesome hearing somebody else struggle with a language.

Everyone here has a motocycle, and one of the members said that 90 people die in moto accidents everyday here in Paraguay. I would never have believed that before, but I sure do now that i´ve been here for a couple weeks.

I got peke this week, not sure how, but Carlos the ward mission leader took it out for me with a needle and some fingernail clippers, it was pretty much just like removing a splinter, not too bad at all.

I´ve seen two cow skulls in the last two days, they weren´t super old either. and they were both smack in the middle of the road.

That doesn´t sound fun with the 100+ weather, I don´t know what it´s been here since they use centigrados, but i am pretty nervous for summer with how it feels sometimes now. Two of our investigators were planned to get married on the 11th, so that was gonna be cool, especially since Hailey´s getting married the day before, but it´s not gonna happen that soon, their names are Lourdes and Angel. Angel is inactive since he was a kid.


Dad- we don´t have a physical address. we live on the Desvio Salado, which is  the same road as the church, we just live farther away from Limpio than the church. we also live right next to a school, there´s a dispensa  between.


Mom- they do not have a pianist here, I actually had just asked my companion if there was a simplified hymn book anywhere and he had one but he didn´t know how to play the piano. Then I got your email, and practiced some that afternoon. The Salado really needs a piano to sing to as well. If I don´t start playing the piano for them, I might go tone deaf. That is all.

Julia-  The word for moustache is bigota. I'm not sure how many youth there are in the ward, they have partido (competitive event - usually soccer) nights Monday and Tuesdays, but more than have of the kids that come aren't members.


There are some pictures from the first week, I´ll have even better ones next week. I´m wearing my glasses in these cuz it was the first couple of days and I didn´t unpack yet.

3 comments:

  1. So fun to read his letters. I'm very excited that he gets to teach so many people. What a blessing !! (John Meyer, Sr)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let Ivan know, he should divide his weight in lbs by 2.2 to get kg... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I have that info all ready to go in my next letter to him!

    ReplyDelete