Monday, April 15, 2013

Week 49 - Kennedy - Pig Foot, Breaded Intestine, Apostacy, 8 Languages, Repurposing

This week was pretty good. It rained for a whole day and we didn´t get a whole lot of anything that day.We found some people that are pretty interested. Iss*c, D*m*ng*´s son is getting pretty interested in the church now too, we´ve been working with him. He´s super great, he´s 15 and the only problem is that he´s the only one supporting his family, and he works Sundays.

We ate something called feshao. It´s basically rice, black beans, and pig foot. It was fun to try, but I don´t think I´ll try it again if I can help it. We also ate milanesa de mondongo, which is breaded cow intestine. It was surprisingly good. I had heard of quite a few missionaries that had gotten diahrea from mondongo, but I didn´t have any problem with that, just with the pig foot.
 
I didn´t realize how many latin missionaries had come into the mission until we were playing soccer this last week on Monday and only 3 of the 10 missionaries were Americans.

The most important thing about the restoration is the apostacy. If they understand everything about the apostacy, and the loss of the priesthood, they don´t have any problem with the rest. At least here in Paraguay.
 
My favorite lesson to teach people is the gospel of Jesus Christ, because that´s really all they need. We find most of our investigators through contacting, but about two thirds of the baptisms have come from members (active and inactive).
 
I know most of the ward members names. It makes it hard because most of the members don´t live in our area. In my last area I knew all the member´s names who were both active and most of the inactives as well because there was only me and Elder Hamilton for most of the time, and only 70ish members that went every week.
 
I think I have heard 8 languages here in Paraguay. I don´t think you can guess what they are.
 
There 7 active families in my area, and we eat at one of their houses every day. I definitely only feel the spirit with certain investigators, since sometimes we run into drunks, or people who just want to argue.
 
If my investigadors go to the temple while I am here, I do get to go with them.
 
The temple was completely in Spanish. It was super funny for me seeing the temple workers trying to be reverent, since Paraguayans are not super reverent people, and all the Paraguayans I´ve met except for one are converts. There was one that was trying to whisper, but he had no idea how to whisper, it was super funny. And the Americans they had called as temple workers had terrible accents. It was super weird hearing old people speak English because for the last year or so, I´ve only heard 18-23 year old people speak English.
 
What´s the deal with N Korea? The Paraguayans have told me about it, but they always exagerate everything.
 
We have a pull up bar on our front porch, I took it apart to finish a broom we had in our house. I normally do jump rope for ten minutes, situps and pushups for ten minutes, and then streches for 10 minutes when I get lazy.
 
I´m still getting along with my companion the thing with Latins is that they are very touchy (physically, which Ivan is not), so that´s kinda annoying.
 
Elder Bowles
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment