Monday, October 8, 2012

Week 22 - Salado - General Conference, Lowering Mission Age, Frogs, Demon Tree, Teaching Outside

This week was awesome, we went to General Conference, went to the baptism of Michael, one of the boys in the Gonzalez family. We called PP's mom on Thursday, and she said that she had forgotten about the baptism and would let us know when would actually work.  It was kinda frustrating. She said that everything is good for this week, so we'll see what happens.
 
It's super exciting that the age for missionaries got lowered, there is always a need for more missionaries. There were so many talks that mentioned missionaries at General Conference.  I know that each and every person that decides to serve a mission will make a difference, and I am super excited.
 
The one talk that really got me was the talk from Elder Holland (one of the 12 Apostles), and how we cannot look back, because life will never be the same, and that we need to feed his sheep. I know that my life has already been permanently changed for the better these last couple of months, that's just how it is, and I want everyone else to be able to make that change as well.
 
I got pike (foot parasite) again, but Carlos took it out no problem.
 
One food tht we eat a lot here is mandioca. the best way to describe it is a cross between a potato and celery. But it actually is pretty good, that's just the only way I have to describe it.
 
This week when we were teaching an investigator, a frog tried to go into her house while she was telling us something. She gave it a kick and it flew a goot 30 feet and made one of the funniest noises I've ever heard, and she continued talking the whole time like nothing happened. It made it even harder for me to pay attention to the lesson that was in half Guarani and half Castellano.
 
I'll find out tonight if I stay in Salado, President Madriga told at our zone meeting last week that he was going to send more missionaries to the Salado ward, so that's super exciting.
 
I am officially done with training, so that means we have an hour or so less of studies now, and we can work for more of the day, which is awesome.

Elder Bowles

I attached a picture of a tree that people say demons are trapped inside of that's in our area. I want to chop it down, but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate that all that much.

Julia- It is great that they are lowering the age. I think that for a while it will make people really consider their decision to come. There are too many who just came because it's what was expected of them by their family, and now aren't really fulfilling their callings as missionaries, but like you said, it really is a decision between you and God.
 
Kami- I can never tell for sure if they are going to go to church, but a lot of times I can tell when they won't. You've only had a couple of meets, you shouldn't be the fastest, you should just be trying. Also, make sure you do whatever the doctor/trainer tell you to do for your leg, so that at least you know you did your part.
 
Dad-none of our investigators came to conference, and about 6 said they would, but I enjoyed conference just the same. We almost never teach inside, and it just feels weird when we do. I get tired of studying sometimes just because we have to be inside. I saw all the sessions, but we were late to a few of them because we were super busy when there wasn't conference.The songs aren't translated to Spanish, they just stand there and watch the people on the screen sing in English. I would rate my fluency in spanish at a 6 (1 for toddler to 10 as a professional orator was the scale Dave provided) for someone who is super good at making up words that actually end up being understood somehow. In Guarani its definitely a 1, because I know very few words, but I have been exposed to it.
 
Mom-that sounds like a huge remodel, do you think I will be able to recognize the house at all from the inside when I get home? The tips of one of my fingers were numb for a bit too from holding groceries in plastic bags for too long on a collectivo. They have contact solution here, so i don't think I need that. I will check on the contacts though and let you know of anything else that I think of for next week's letter.

 
Demon Tree
 (rumor has it demons are trapped inside)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment