This week was another great one. There are some old missionaries that came and helped us have an open house in our little chapel, and a lot of people came to see, so that was really awesome.
It was the first time in a long time that I heard an old person speak English as their first language. During the open house a super loud American song came on, and everyone was surprised by the ringtone, and even more surprised to find that the ringtone came from the oldest little lady in the whole chapel, it was super funny.
We had a zone meeting this week, and I saw another car crash, some moto was tailgating a car, and then it stopped and he went in the back window. It looked like it hurt, but he was kinda asking for it. Glad the united states doesn´t hand out licenses willy nilly.
I realized the other day that my manners have gotten way worse since I´ve been here just because of the culture. Here it is completely ok to use your hands when you eat, and to wipe your hands on the tablecloth, (in some places the face too, but I haven´t done that one yet).
I really can tell that everyone here are descendents of the Indians (or are Indians). If my facts are right this is the only country in South America that wasn´t conquered by the Spanish when they were colonizing. Everyone here acts like Lamanites, it´s just that some live in the city with normal clothes and the others live in the country ( I still haven't quite seen them yet).
Here in Villarrica everyone is Catholic (as normal in Paraguay) but most of them actually go to church almost every Sunday (super not normal at all).
Also, I just realized that since I got here not a single person has said ´´otro dia´´ or wagged their finger at us, which I got every single day at least once in my last area.
Elder Reid goes home this week, so that´s weird, hopefully I can get around the area without getting lost too many times with my new companion that´s gonna come. Elder Reid leaves Villarrica tomorrow evening, and spends a day in the office and doing things, and then he flys out Thursday morning.
We cook a lot of rice and pasta, with various things mixed in. This week we tried 'mystery meat' which was some organ that a member gave us when she killed her pig, I haven´t gotten sick yet, but I didn´t really enjoy it either.
I don´t know if I told you, but my first day in Villarrica I went to a funeral and saw a dead body for the first time in my life, so that was fun.
I still don´t know Guarani well enough to have more than a 3 sentence conversation, let alone a lesson. That´s what members are for, either I´ll learn guaraní , or my lack of speaking Guaraní will motivate me to bring even more members to lessons with us.
There are, if I remember right, 4 young women and 3 or four young men in the branch.
And one of the people who got baptized chose me to baptize them, so I baptized in the creek. We should have another creek baptism this Saturday if the branch president is on top of things over there in Paso Yobai.
The marriage missionaries in our zone are in charge of finding out if the less active members still live in their respective wards or not, so they basically just drive around in Paraguay in the truck the mission gave them. It´s elder arnold and his wife, and he´s the brother of the Elder Arnold who was the area 70 just months ago. I just remembered that you wanted to know about the old missionaries. if you have more questions about that, I imagine I´ll probably be able to talk to them one more time. Hermana Arnold is trying to learn Spanish for the first time in her life.
We are teaching Ju*n, whos a really shy 15 year-old. V*******, a mother that is really emotional, so thats interesting. *v*r, who lives in Paso Yobai whose brother was baptized a week and a half ago, and his parents are just waiting for a divorce to go through so they can get married and baptized. We always have more, but those are the poeple that I think for sure will be baptized.
I´m not about to pinch myself because I don´t want to wake up from this super awesome dream.
My house has all of its windows, a balcony, a couple wooden chairs, an air conditoning/heater that´s stuck on 24 degrees celsius (75 degrees Farenheit) because someone lost the remote, and the water goes out everyday at about 12ish or 1ish when we need to either make or clean up after lunch.
If you were to ask me what I did today I would say that I woke up at three in the morning and took a collective to Coronel Oviedo and slept in the zone leaders house so my companion could go with another dying elder (one who is going home soon) to have their last interview with Presidente Aggazzani.
It may sound ridiculous, but there´s a rule that we shouldn't call missionaries by nicknames. I suppose I could make one for my companion, but I couldn´t ever use it.
I have seen snakes, skunks now, but bats sí.
My favorite food in this area is chipa cabure, which is chipa, but instead of cooking it in a tatakua, they roast it on a stick over the fire, and it has melted cheese inside. super rico!
No comments:
Post a Comment